International Yoga Day: 5 Easy Yoga Poses for Beginners

15:45

The 21st June marks International Yoga Day, a certified day by the United Nations. The celebrations started today, with Yoga lovers all over the world supporting the health and wellbeing this practice brings, and the tying together of body, spirit and mind. Even the Indian Prime Minister, Modi, is getting involved, celebrating this event and practicing yoga. 

I had the pleasure of practicing with Linda Yoga yesterday in West Somerset, facing out onto a beautiful lake. Linda let me know that yoga teachers and students everywhere are practicing today and focusing the practice on world peace. I joined in with this movement today, and you can, too!

Here are 5 easy Yoga postures for you to try at home.


1. Seated position
I like to start my session by finding my breath. I take a deep breath through the nose and exhale through the mouth. I do this about five times until I feel relaxed and ready to continue with my routine.

 2. Downward Dog This pose targets the upper and lower body at the same time. There is pressure on the upper arms but you can also feel this pose through the legs. I usually transition out of child pose into downward dog, and then into plank.

2. Plank
Doing the plank pose is great for your abdominals. People who plank regularly can achieve a six pack! It's also amazing for the upper body. I am not great at plank, as it requires lots of upper body strength. If you're new to yoga, practicing plank and timing yourself from 1 minute is a great idea. The better you get, the longer you can time yourself for.

3. Boat
    Another pose great for working those abdominal muscles, I like to hold the boat pose for about 5         breaths. I don't like to hold this one for too long as it puts pressure on the bottom of the spine.

4. Cobra    This is a nice one to transition into after planking.The cobra pose stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominals, strengthening arms whilst firming the buttocks. This one is also supposed to improve mood.

My sporty kit is from H&M's women's sport range. They are super comfy and in a lovely stretchy cool fabric.

I hope you enjoyed this post, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter!

Sports Tights / £14.99
Sports Bra / £12.99 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter